A Louis XV Revival Giltwood Side Chair
A LOUIS XV REVIVAL GILTWOOD SIDE CHAIR (French, c. 1900) attributed to the workshops of Jules Allard and Sons, Paris. The oval shaped back and seat are upholstered in pink silk brocade with a design of vases filled with white roses outlined in gold against a pink swag ground. The shaped crest rail is carved with a cabbage leaf scroll flanked by rose garlands sweeping down the oval medallion back. The seat rail is carved with scrolling leaves and rose sprays. The chair stands on four cabriole legs, the front two of which have foliate carved knees, and end whorl feet. Originally from the Newport Astor estate Chetwode, formerly on Bellevue Ave. it was demolished in 1973.
36" x 18" x 16 1/2"
Purchased by The Preservation Society of Newport County, 2006.
For more information about this item, please contact its owning institution.