GOLF CLUB (Scottish, c. 1895) manufactured by Thornton & Co., Edinburgh. This club is an early and rare transitional 1890-18905 long spoon "brassie" golf club. The head of the club is marked "THORNTON" and bears the initials "FWV" for Frederick W. Vanderbilt (1856-1938). The shaft is also marked "FWV." The club is believed to have been supplied to Vanderbilt by Willie F. Davis, a golf pro and course designer at the Newport Country Club. Frederick W. Vanderbilt was a member of the Board of Governors that established the Newport Country Club in 1893.
iron and brass head
Gift of Mr. John Ronald, 2017.
For more information about this item, please contact its owning institution.