A Pair of Chinese Export Plates
A pair of Chinese export plates (Chinese, c. 1745) painted in famille-rose enamels and gold with a quatrefoil center panel painted with a topographical view of Fort St. George Madras. The rim is painted with two side Meissen style cartouches depicting maritime scenes of Plymouth Sound on the southern coast of England and Whampoa anchorage near Canton. At the top of the rim is a heraldic crest of a demi lion rampant with a banner motto reading “Deus Summum Virtus”, and along the bottom is the coat of arms for Admiral Sir Francis Holburne. The plate design, other than the armorial details, matches the service of Lord Anson, Lord Commissioner of the Admiralty. Produced during the Qianlong dynasty.
diameter 9 1/8"
Gift of Mrs. W. Harold Hoffman.
PSNC.1180.1 - .2
For more information about this item, please contact its owning institution.