A William and Mary Side Chair
A William and Mary side chair (English, c. 1690) composed of black painted pine with a caned back and seat. The high open back has an arched pierced scroll shape crest rail above an oblong caned splat flanked by baluster shaped back posts terminating in knob shaped finials. The square cane seat is supported by four legs, the front two are carved in an S-scroll and terminate in ball feet, the rear legs are block turned and splayed at the bottom. The front legs are joined by an elaborate arched scroll apron sprouting two fleur-de-lis shaped buds and a central fleur-de-lis. All four legs are joined by H-shaped block and ring turned stretchers, and the rear legs are connected by a single upper back stretcher.
black painted pine
52.5" x 17.75" x 15"
Gift of Mr. J. A. Lloyd Hyde.
For more information about this item, please contact its owning institution.