A William and Mary Side Chair
A William and Mary side chair (English, c.1690) composed of black painted pine with a caned back and seat. The high open back is topped by a scrolling arched crest rail, below is an oblong caned splat, this is flanked by baluster turned back posts surmounted by knob finials. The square caned seat is supported by four legs, the front two are carved in an S-scroll and terminate in ball feet, the rear legs are block turned and splayed at the bottom. The front legs are joined by an elaborate arched apron with a pierced rising sun motif. All four legs are joined by H-shaped block and ring turned stretchers, and the rear legs are connected by a single upper back stretcher.
painted black pine
53.25" x 17.5" x 14.5"
Gift of Mr. J. A. Lloyd Hyde, 1966.
For more information about this item, please contact its owning institution.