Chippendale Side Chair
A Chippendale side chair (American, Newport, c.1780) composed out of mahogany and a slip seat with a modern red and white striped needlepoint cover. The shaped crest rail centers on a fan-shaped carving incised with cross-hatching above an open back with a pierced and scrolled splat accented with incised beading. The square seat is raised on four block legs, the front two are decorated with stop-fluting on two sides, the rear are splayed. The legs are joined by H-shaped stretchers and a single rear stretcher.
38" x 20.75" x 16.5"
Gift of Mrs. Ann Marvell Kirwin, 1991.
For more information about this item, please contact its owning institution.