Allegorical Rendering of Architecture
An allegorical rendering of "Architecture" (French, 1731 - 1788) made with sepia pen and green wash ink from the Atelier (Workshop) of Gilles-Paul Cauvet (1731 - 1788). The composition of this drawing depicts the allegorical origin of the Corinthian capital according to Vitruvius as designed by Gilles-Paul Cauvet. In the piece the Corinthian capital is covered and surrounded by lush greenery and a laurel. Above it is a halo radiating light. The top is inscribed in script "Dessus des port a l'antique" (translated from French to "above the old port") and at the bottom "L'architecture" (translated from French to "Architecture").
ink on paper
6" x 8"
Purchased by the Preservation Society of Newport County, 1995.
For more information about this item, please contact its owning institution.