A Set of Four Napoleon III Bronze and Ormolu Sixteen-light Chandeliers
A SET OF FOUR NAPOLEON III BRONZE AND ORMOLU SIXTEEN-LIGHT CHANDELIERS (French, c. 1895) installed in the Great Hall of The Breakers, attributed to Vian of Paris and retailed by Archer & Pancoast of New York. Each chandelier has a central baluster supporting three circular tiers chiseled with foliage above a large bronze ball with a foliate ormolu cup and a pineapple drop finial. The body supports sixteen curved trumpet-shaped arms overlaid with free-standing foliage decorated with pinecones and terminating in fluted lips with lamp fittings and frosted glass shades. The whole is suspended by eight gilt-metal chains and a bronze pole emanating from a gilt metal collar. The chandeliers are fitted for electricity.
108" x 78"
Gift of the Countess Anthony Szapáry, 1973.
For more information about this item, please contact its owning institution.