Four Louis XVI Style Caned Side Chairs
A set of four Louis XVI style caned side chairs (French, c. 1895) produced by the workshops of Jules Allard and Sons, Paris, for use in the Ladies Reception Room at The Breakers. The matching chairs have oval cane-paneled backs contained in rectangular frames with pierced foliate spandrels and molded borders carved with spiral ribbon. The rectangular seats are covered in woven needlework with a ribbon trellis pattern enclosing floral sprays. The seat rail is carved with a band of petal tips, the front two corners are carved with flowerhead paterae. The chairs are raised on four legs, the front two are of tapered fluted form and end in arrow feet, the rear legs are of plain block form.
needlework woven upholstery
34 1/2" x 16" x 17"
Gift of Gladys R. Thomas, Cornelia Coudenhove-Kalergi, and Eugene Roberts, 1972.
PSNC.2444.1 - .4
For more information about this item, please contact its owning institution.