Hand-Hammered Two-Handled Cup
A hand-hammered two-handled loving cup (American, c. 1885) made by Tiffany & Co., New York. Composed of parcel gilt sterling silver, the cup/mug may have been presented in honor of the 1890 engagement of Theresa “Tessie” Fair (American, 1871-1926) and Hermann Oelrichs (American, 1850-1906). The Arts & Crafts style cup is decorated with a raised band of grapevines and fruit around the center. The lower half of the cup is inscribed in gothic lettering “‘The Happy Family’ / Hermann Oelrichs / February 24th 1890” surrounded by floral sprigs. The underside of the base is marked “TIFFANY & Co / 8571M248 / STERLING SILVER / 925-1000”, the cup holds a capacity of 2 quarts.
parcel gilt sterling silver
7.5" x 10"
Purchased by The Preservation Society of Newport County, 2010.
For more information about this item, please contact its owning institution.